Frequently Asked Questions

I have a felony conviction, can I still apply?


When does the JATC accept applications

The JATC accepts applications all year long

How do I go about getting a copy of my high school transcripts?

Applicants must contact their high school registrar’s office and request an official/sealed copy to be mailed directly to the JATC office

What if I can't prove I have taken and passed 1 year of algebra?

Applicants that can prove 2000 hours of electrical construction experience can waive this requirement or successful completion of the Tech Math class from the Electrical Training Alliance at the following link

Can I bring a copy of my high school transcript to the JATC?

Yes, IF the transcript  is sealed in an envelope from your high school. Transcripts are no longer official if opened by anyone other than the JATC staff.

Why do I have to pay a test fee for the Apprenticeship program, but not the CW program?

The Southwest Idaho Training Center is charged for every aptitude test administered for apprentice applicants, the cw program does not have aptitude testing requirements, so there is no fee. 

What if my drivers license is from out of state?

Your drivers license does not need to be from Idaho, but it does need to be valid

How often does the JATC conduct aptitude testing.

Testing occurs the second Tuesday of each month and starts promptly at 8:30 am.

What if I have a testing date and I forget about it or miss it? Can I test the following month?

If you know you will not be available on your testing date, the JATC office can schedule testing for the following month if you contact us in advance. If you are a “no show” for testing, you will need to wait six (6) months to test.

What if I do not pass the aptitude test?

Applicants who do not pass the aptitude test will need to wait six (6) months to retest.

Can I work as a CW and apply to the registered apprenticeship program at the same time?

The JATC encourages applicants to get a job as a CW while applying for apprenticeship. If hired as a CW, applicants can start making money and gain valuable industry knowledge which can help improve interview scores

How soon after I apply to the CW program can I start working?

That depends on how motivated applicants are to get started in the trade. Because the JATC does not find jobs for CW’s, the burden is on the applicant to be diligent in trying to get hired. 

How is the JATC electrical apprenticeship different from college programs?

College programs charge tuition fees to attend classes and often students must rely on themselves to find a job to get their on-the-job training hours needed to take the state test to become a journeyman electrician. The JATC doesn’t charge tuition for those offered apprenticeship and places their apprentices in jobs so they accrue the hours needed.

After the interview, will I receive my overall score?

Yes. All applicants who go through the interview process will receive a letter via U.S. mail stating their score. However, applicants will not know where they are on the overall list of applicants during the 2-year period.

Does everyone get selected if they apply?

No. Not every applicant who applies for the program is selected. You can improve your chances by gaining experience as a CW to better your overall score. 

How much does a CW make per hour

CW’s start about the same rate as a 1st term apprentice, without full benefits. 

What does an apprentice make per hour?

Wage and benefit information can be found on the wages/costs tab of the Detailed Apprentice Information on the applicant page. 

What tools will I need?
  • Allen Wrenches to 3/8″
  • Crescent wrench 10″
  • Flashlight
  • Hacksaw Frame
  • Keyhole Saw Handle
  • Knife
  • Level, small
  • NEC code book
  • Offset level
  • Padlock
  • Pencil
  • Pliers (side cutt, diagonals, needle, and two (2) adjustable)
  • Plumb bob
  • Tape Measure
  • Screwdrivers
  • Square (small)
  • Voltage Tester
  • Tool Box
  • Tool Pouch
  • Wire Strippers (small)
  • Gloves
Where do I get my electrical apprentice license?

By downloading and completing the application from the Idaho Division of Building Safety and submitting it to them.